Toast Of The Nation
Wed January 1, 2014
Cecile McLorin Salvant: Live In Washington, D.C.
Originally published on Fri January 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Among the breakout performers of 2013 was the young singer Cecile McLorin Salvant. Her unfussy, yet flexible delivery and penchant for material of an older vintage cut a distinct profile — especially for someone who turned 24 last year. It's no surprise that her recent album WomanChild was received with wide acclaim, named the top vocal album in NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll and collecting a Grammy nomination. Toast of the Nation features her performance with the Aaron Diehl Trio at the 2013 Mary Lou Williams Festival at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
- "Womanchild" (Salvant)
- "You Bring Out The Savage In Me" (Sam Coslow)
- "Haunted House Blues" (J.C. Johnson)
- "So In Love" (Cole Porter)
- "Growlin' Dan" (Blanche Calloway/Clyde Hart)
- "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" (Lorenz Hart/Richard Rodgers)
- "I Get A Kick Out Of You" (Cole Porter)
- "Goodbye" (Gordon Jenkins)
- Cecile McLorin Salvant, voice
- Aaron Diehl, piano
- Paul Sikivie, bass
- Rodney Green, drums
Greg Hartman/Kennedy Center, mix engineer. Recorded May 18, 2013.